Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How do you . . .




Having a baby entails a huge learning curve – everything is new, and no matter how prepared (or unprepared) you feel, nothing compares to the reality that you are responsible for this tiny little helpless baby or advanced fetus, the in-vogue way of talking about newborn’s first three months.  Rube and I were lucky enough to have my parents with us for the first week so I could ask all those silly questions – mainly, is this normal? – to people who’d had some experience.   Rube and I were also lucky enough that Rube was able to take three weeks off so we could stumble through the process together.  At least during that time, there was always someone to turn to ask – do you think this is all right? (a case of the blind leading the blind, but reassurance, no matter who it’s coming from is always nice!).

Now, the stumbling through the day has become my sole responsibility – and with it has come a whole new set of challenges, and a whole new set of “skills” to learn, and a whole lot of experimenting of what works!  Tasks that were once simple (eating, going to the bathroom, cleaning the house, any everyday task I used to do without thinking about) have taken on a level of complexity that I never imagined and leaves me constantly asking myself “How do I . . . ?”  And the how do I's have changed – no longer is it 'How do I change a diaper?' Or 'How do I get a squirming little girl dressed?'  Or 'How do I get her to stop crying?'  Or 'How do I get this girl to take her pacifier?'  Now it’s 'How do I go to the bathroom?' ''How do I eat?' and 'How do I get anything done???' 
So we’re learning slowly.  It’s getting easier day-by-day – Safia is becoming more “independent” – taking naps in her bassinet, spending time in her bouncy chair, or on her play mat.  Granted, she’s only entertained in the bouncy chair or on the play mat for about 5 or 10 minutes, but hopefully as she gets used to all these new forms of entertainment, she’ll spend more time in them.  And I’m getting better at getting things done quickly, and doing things one handed. 




There has also been a steady stream of friends helping us out – whether it’s keeping us fed (because the thought of having to make dinner is still overwhelming!), or coming over and providing me with entertainment and another set of hands.  We feel really lucky to have such a great support system since our families are so far away!


Finally, it seems that Safia is on another growth support/feeding frenzy, or at least that’s what Rube tells me.  I sometimes wonder if she’s just testing my patience, preparing me for what’s to come.  Which leaves me with my last “How do you . . .” question,  'How do you not loose your mind when you’re nursing constantly?'  Hopefully the answer to that one will come sooner than later!


2 comments:

  1. Told you you couldn't prepare for the ordeal. It sounds like you guys are handling the hardest thing you will ever do (until you have another one) very well. We all go through the same thing, but don't worry, babies bounce. You can't mess them up as long as you keep them fed, warm, and away from serious harm.

    I'm loving the blog. Keep it up. Miss you guys. Hope to see all three of you in Taiwan this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bringing back so many memories. I lost so much weight between the nursing constantly and not eating. You'll get the hang of it. Make snacks that you can eat one handed or with Safia in a sling/wrap. Nursing constantly - well, that's just how it goes. Enjoy it. When it ends, you'll long for it again (I know it sounds crazy now). Safia is beautiful and I'm sure you two are amazing parents. Keep up the love and support!

    ReplyDelete