Thursday, May 12, 2011

There'd be days like this my momma said





When I was pregnant, my mom often said to me “After you were born, some days, your dad would come home and I’d have gotten so much done, and other days, I’d still be in bed in my pajamas.”  I got the gist of what she was saying, there’d be good days, and there’d be bad days, I didn’t really get it until Monday.  I’m not sure if Safia had an upset stomach, if she wasn’t feeling well, or if she was just not having a good day, but she cried and cried and cried – which in turn made me cry and cry and cry (just imagine me holding her bouncing on an exercise ball, which is usually the only sure fire way to get her to stop crying if she’s really fussy, with her in my arms with both of us bawling).  It makes me laugh now, but in the moment I thought it was never going to end.  To make matters worse, the day before, she’d slept for a solid two hours in her bassinet for Rube (there's no justice).  The rational side of me knew that things were going to get better and that it was just one of those days, but the emotional side of me thought that it was never going to end and it was always going to be like this, and of course, the emotional side was winning, and the tears came.  It was at the next morning, me dreading another repeat day, that what my mom had said finally sunk in and I really got it – there would be good days and there would be bad days took on a whole new meaning! 


Hanging out in the Garden - this only
lasted about 10 minutes! 
The rest of the week has been much better – we’ve run errands, with minimal crying, we’ve watered the garden, which is a challenge with a baby attached to you, but we’re working on the bouncy chair in the garden, and we went to visit friends who have a two week old, it’s amazing how big Safia looks in comparison. 

On Sunday, I had my first solo outing (my Mother’s Day gift to myself, after fifteen days straight with her most of the day, I needed a break).  I met Priscilla for frozen yogurt.  After we’d been sitting outside on the patio of the frozen yogurt plac, she looked across the parking lot at the patio of the Agua Linda (a local Mexican restaurant) and saw the waitress bring out Margaritas.  She lamented the fact that we hadn’t thought of that, so after a quick phone call to Rube revealed that Safia had been sleeping in her bassinet for the entire hour and forty-five minutes I was gone (which she never does for me), I informed him I wasn’t coming home and was going to get a Margarita instead – an excellent choice, if I do say so myself!



Rube has just over a week of school left – the kids are done next Wednesday and he’s counting down the days.  It’s been challenging because he uses up much of  his patience with his students, and has little left when he comes home to a grumpy Safia.  In just over a week, all will change – tag-team parenting all day, we’re both looking forward to it! 

2 comments:

  1. Rube,

    I am behind the curve here but congrats on the gorgeous baby. She is so cute.

    Ken Frigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sometimes you just want to throw them out the window. Be glad you only have one and Rube has a whole summer off.

    ReplyDelete